Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The New "Normal"

I knew that life would never be the same the day that I brought Aiden home from the hospital.  There were sleepless nights, running to check if he was still breathing, worrying about every little detail.  I just couldn't imagine what I did with my time before he came along.  I had friends tell me that it was still like "being a married couple with only one child."  I laughed to myself when they would say that, thinking yeah right!  And then....Keegan came home from the hospital!  And I realized how right they truly were!  I kept asking my mom, "Why is Aiden so loud?"  And, she giggled and calmly told me he had always been like this!  It took 45 minutes to go anywhere, and that was just getting everyone loaded into the car and back!  I kept thinking to myself, "when will this get easier?"  And then, it hit me....this is my new normal!  Laugh and make messes.  Dance with toddlers in the living room.  Sit in the floor with spilled juice all around you.  Make trips to the ER before they turn two.  Clean up toys in the living room floor thousands of times per day. Explain that markers aren't for shoes or walls. Read the same books repeatedly. Make mad dashes for the video camera.  Worry when things get quiet for too long, as in two minutes. Thank God for these precious treasures.  Cry.  Laugh. Call friends and plead, "is this normal?" Make funny faces.  Learn the art of distraction.  Get giddy when your child says their first prayer.  Smile as you hear "God is so good" from the back seat.  And pray, pray, pray.  So, I invite you to take a sneak peek into what the real, day-to-day adventure of motherhood in my home looks like.  Just like any adventure it is exciting, scary and suspenseful.  It's a ton of fun, but you never know what is coming next.  So, welcome to coming along as I learn from "my new normal."

2 comments:

  1. LOVE it! Life is never the same for sure, but isn't it great. I look at Jack and wonder where the time went. So thankful to be at home now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to read your new adventure... Even if it doesn't seem "normal" to me ;) Keep the posts coming, you've got an anxious reader!!!

    ReplyDelete