Friday, January 6, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

This year I read on a college friend's blog about resolutions.  Being "steadfast, firm." So, I opted for some New Year's Resolutions, rather than goals.  I set a high standard for myself at 15, but some of them are for my walk with the Lord, some for my marriage, some for my kids, and some just for me!  So here goes....

1.  Read through the Bible in a year
I've heard stories throughout my life from the Bible.  I've been involved in many Bible studies.  I've memorized some scripture.  But, this year, I really wanted to read the Bible cover to cover.  My prayer is to see God's character, and for Him to use this time to change me.

2. Encourage Dean daily and pray together
I made the pinterest frame "I love you because..." and I've been putting all the things that I love about it on it each night.  And, it goes without saying to pray together as a couple.  But, sometimes, it's so easy to get "too busy."  But those times are the times we need it the most....

3. Thankful Journal---Get over 1,000 things
So many people had told me how wonderful the book "One Thousand Gifts" was.  I am in the process of reading the book, and it truly is insightful and is changing my outlook considerable.  How humbly to realize that God is the same God whether I think things are the way I think they should be or not!  And He loves us, and wants what's best for us!

4. Read 10 books.
I love to read so this shouldn't be hard, but I wanted to try to amp up the reading.  Since I talk about colors and count to 8 all day, I thought this would be a good outlet to not lose my brain cells or vocabulary that I've accumulated.  (Not that it is much!)

5. Devotional Time with boys daily
We've set aside time each night before bedtime to read a Bible story as a family (or the boys and me if Dean is working or at band practice.)  We read the story and talk about what we're thankful for, pray, and sing.  Right now, I do most of the talking, but my prayer is that this time will begin to transform their hearts.  Aiden has started praying and singing, and even asking a few questions or making comments about Bible stories.

6. PLAY more
I know this is shocking to hear me admit...I'm too focused on "taking care of things" sometimes.  Yes, there's a time and place for being a good steward of what God has given me.  I want to have a place of calm for my husband and children.  But, they aren't little long, and we all have some kid in us!  So, I want to play more!  Get out, laugh, surprise my husband, surprise my kiddos!

7. Lose 25 pounds....keep it off
I know everyone says this!  Enough said.  But I joined Weight Watchers with my dad and Daddyjim.  It will be fun to all do it together!  Hopefully forming a new healthier lifestyle.

8.  Run a 1/2 marathon
I've said I wanted to do this for several years, but always thought I couldn't.  I'm going to train and run a 5K in April, and hopefully a 1/2 toward the late fall/end of the year!  My little brother really inspired me on this one!  He's about to run his 2nd FULL marathon in February..

9. Write one encouraging letter a week
As a "semi-retired" teacher, I discovered how you pour your soul and energy into a lot of little lives and often wonder if you are making a positive difference in their lives despite your mistakes.  So, I have a LOT of people in my life who have made a HUGE difference in making me the person that I am today.  Some family, some friends, some acquaintances, some educators.  I want them to hear about it.

10. Learn to sew
My grandmother, who we lost in August to cancer, was one of a kind!  God really used her.  She was the type of person who made ANYONE feel special, she would become best friends with the person who would most likely be overlooked by others.  She was an incredible seamstress!!  And, when she became really ill and couldn't do for others like she wanted to, she was doing two things.  She was making desserts, freezing them, and taking them to people on days she felt well.  She was also sewing all of her granddaughters, and granddaughters-in-law aprons.  I have it in my kitchen! I wanted to do this in her honor, and to remind myself to be a blessing to those around me like she was.

11. Daily Quiet Time
Self-explanatory.

12. Meaningful activity with boys several times weekly
This goes along with my challenge with my friend, Katie.  I want to do arts & crafts, teach them household chores, service, etc.

13. Take more pictures!
There was a time in my life that I felt like I was taking pictures and felt like I wasn't really living, but just shooting pictures to make it look like it was.  (Does that make sense?)  So I vowed to myself to start living.  I've done that!  But, I want evidence of my kiddos growing up!  So, I need to get better at this!

14. Pray before talking
If you know me, you know I worry!  I love everyone around me, and I think if I worry enough I can fix all of their problems and mine too!!  All in the sake of love!  :)  But God, who sees it all, loves them more than I do!  I'm going to pray instead of talking and worrying!  (Now, don't expect me to get perfect on this one before the end of the year....just looking for improvement!)

15. Remember birthdays!
If you know me, you know that I'm horrible at remembering birthdays!  Or, I might remember and think I've called.  Or I might have called, and forgotten to send a gift.  For those of you that I've hurt by this, I'm sorry!  It isn't a lack of love, I'm just not good at it!  I hope to get better this year!

I'd love to hear some of yours!  Blessings on you and your family in 2012!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't written down or even composed a solid list in my mind of resolutions/goals for fear that I will just disappoint myself when I don't follow through. BUT, I love your idea and will probably steal a few :)

    ReplyDelete